Last Saturday I was a co-host for my sweet girlfriend LT's baby blessing and tea party (aka the fanciest baby shower ever). It was an Alice in Wonderland theme and everything from the invite, food, decorations, to everyone being asked to bring a tea cup (so when her little girl pops out, she already has her first tea set) SO cute. Anyway, we were extremely fortunate to have the MOST BEAUTIFUL home as our setting and the day was lovely. Among other things, my contribution was an ABC book for the baby. I got the idea from my Aunt LI and cousin SBI (who did it when they threw a shower for DNI). It was fun to participate, totally kid friendly, and the result was both sentimental and useful, and I knew that it would make LT happy.
The materials needed are simple and basic (you can get as fancy as you want or keep it really straightforward). Here are some of my suggestions for elements to include:
- At least 26 pieces of blank paper (white or colored and they can be any size).
- Capital and lower case letters (one per page) - I found white alphabet stickers that I then drew on in pink and purple permanent marker (but you could write your own, print out from the computer...).
- An instruction card for guests (you can click on mine to view larger) so they know what they are doing.
- A title page of some sort (mine was Baby's First ABC's - see below).
- A made by page so that all the participants can sign their names.
- Markers, pens, or crayons for drawing illustrations.
- Whatever method you choose to put the final book together - send it to fed-ex/kinkos and have then bind it, laminate each page, use a three ring notebook, staple it, or scan each page and make a hardbound book (which is what I am doing through Blurb).
Below are pics from the actual baby shower (so you can see the project in action):
Here are some completed pages: